As role-players, this creates problems. We exercise one magic system, become comfortable with it, then move to another world and struggle to understand its ways.
This blastr post includes a chart (shown at right) of the “rules of magic” for 51 different worlds/universes. It answers six questions about each:
- Where does magic come from?
- How do you wield it?
- Is there good and evil magic?
- Is magical ability hereditary, or can anyone learn?
- What’s the secret to defeating magic?
- Is magic a secret from a primarily non-magic world?
It’s fascinating to compare how magic “works” in different contexts and for different reasons.
Plus, if you’re playing and a spell’s effects seem illogical, these are good questions to ask: why does magic work this way? What was the designer’s intent?